- MapCon happens only once a year and it is by far the best place anywhere to find collectable road maps.
- MapCon 2021 is September 24 and 25 at the AACA museum in Hershey, PA.
- MapCon is open to all RMCA members as well as the general public.
- Meet other road map collectors and map dealers at MapCon.
- RMCAs Dollar Table at MapCon is a great place to find map bargains with all proceeds from those sales going to help finance the RMCA.
- While at MapCon you can also visit the AACA antique automobile Museum AND see the RMCA exhibits there.
- The RMCA is also holding its annual meeting and dinner that Friday evening (9/25) in Harrisburg (see below for details) and attendance is open to all RMCA members and their guests.
- The RMCA welcomes and encourages all members to attend MapCon as well as the annual dinner. No reservations are needed to attend MapCon and you can sign up for the dinner at the show.
- The MapCon show is at the AACA Museum at 161 Museum Drive, Hershey, PA Phone: (717) 566- 7100, show hours: 9 am to 5 pm Friday 9/24 and 9 am to 2 pm Saturday 9/25. AACA Museum charges $10 admission per adult. Map collectors can recoup their admission fee with a coupon given at entrance good for 10 road maps from our Dollar Map Table or a $10 discount from participating dealers.
- Prior to the show, informal room-to-room map trading occurs at the convention hotel; the Comfort Suites – 320 Milroy Road, Hummelstown, PA Phone: (717) 566-3000, Thursday (9/23). Informal map trading starts at 5 pm, and is open to all members whether or not they are staying at the hotel.
- The RMCA Annual Member Meeting and Dinner, starting at 7 pm, will be at the Hibachi Buffet – Harrisburg, 5080 Jonestown Road, Harrisburg, PA (717) 671-8818. Jeff Kitsko, from Pennsylvania’s Laurel Highlands, will be the speaker at the dinner. Jeff will be giving a presentation on Pennsylvania Highway History, Jeff has been a road map collector for some 40 years or so, but more importantly, has created a website, pahighways.com., that includes detailed information about roads in Pennsylvania including history, construction projects, exits,and, of course, lots of maps. He has traveled Pennsylvania’s highways extensively and will sometimes just hop in the car to visit a site to see how it is progressing.
PHOTOS OF PREVIOUS MAPCONS
Below are images from some past RMCA conventions and MapCon events from over the years.
Who We Are:
The Road Map Collectors Association is the only non-profit organization specifically dedicated to the collection and preservation of historic road maps. Our members are primarily interested in folding road maps, road atlases and street guides from the automobile age, particularly those distributed by gas stations, state/provincial governments, automobile clubs and various commercial publishers, as well as of related cartographic documents. For simplicity on this website we refer to them collectively as “road maps”. Membership is open to all persons interested in the collecting of and/or history of road maps. The RMCA has been approved by the IRS as a 501(c)(3) tax-exempt organization.
What We Do:
- Preserve the historical aspects of road maps;
- Facilitate the collection, preservation and dissemination of information regarding the history of road maps;
- Maintain an association of persons interested in road maps and provide them with resources they need to collect and preserve road maps, including a quarterly newsletter, and an online information archive; and
- Educate the public about historic road maps, including how to collect and preserve them. This mission includes our annual MapCon road map show and our revolving curated exhibits on historic road maps at the Antique Automobile Museum of America, a Smithsonian affiliate, located in Hershey, PA.
If you collect road maps or if you are interested in historic road maps, we ask that you consider joining us.
How to Join:
You can join us through the “register or renew” page, pick the level of support you wish to provide, and follow the prompts to make a PayPal donation. The RMCA depends on financial donations from its members and donors to fund its activities. You can become a member of the RMCA for a donation of as little as $20 per year. Cash donations to the RMCA are tax deductible to the full extent of the law in the US. Every dollar you give makes a difference.
Other Ways to Support Us:
You can also support the RMCA by donating unwanted maps (or cash), buying donated maps from us, sponsoring our annual Map Convention (MapCon), or sponsoring an exhibit that we maintain at the Antique Automobile Club of America (AACA) museum. You can also make a one-off donation or tribute in memory of a special person.
Donations are needed to help fund the RMCA’s AACA Museum exhibits this year
Our annual MapCon event usually makes some money for the RMCA from the sale of “dollar maps” after all the expenses are covered. This year with the event’s cancellation, due to Covid-19 concerns, we will not have that additional income. However, with the re-opening of the AACA Museum, we will still have our regular exhibit, and our special gallery exhibit. The exhibits will run for 6 months beginning September 12. The regular exhibit is “Women on Road Map Covers”, see the banner, below. The Gallery exhibit will be in a hall with nine exhibits around a purple 1912 Cadillac – which closely matches the car in the Gulf Oil ad for which the exhibition takes its name, “Look, they gave me a map!”
The nine exhibits include:
- Navigation then and now
- World of maps: a world map made from a mosaic of road map images
- Cartography: Hershey area portrayed by 16 maps from different years and cartographers
- PA Turnpike: 80 years of Turnpike maps, photos and other stuff
- Art Deco Streamline Moderne: Can we say beautiful map images?
- Maps from Gulf: “True or False? 1st maps, 1st service station”; Gulf Canada antique car covers, and so much more
- Sinclair maps and dinos
- Road map oddities: Agloe, “go blue”, errors and maps of any size, shape and style.
- Collecting maps: It’s all about what we do.
There’s also a big DX Travel Center filled with free maps and copies of our brochure!
Facing a shortfall our board has established a matching fund campaign. Board members have pledged $375 in matching funds for the first $375 to be donated by the members.
Please chip in and donate to help make these exhibits a reality! Remember your donations to the RMCA can be tax deductible. Photos and video will be posted after the exhibit opens. Thanks for your help!
You can make your donation via Paypal to firstname.lastname@example.org or mail your check to:
Road Map Collectors Association, Inc.
PO Box 421
Providence Forge, VA 23140
We would like to thank the following for their generous donations to sponsor the
RMCA’s exhibit projects at the Antique Automobile Club of America Museum in
Check the Oil Promotions, LLC
Henry W. Hallowell III
In memory of his brother Bill who died of COVID-19 in September.
New World Maps
Several others with small cash donations
Also thanks to the following for donations of the maps in our Map Auction #1:
Donate Road Maps:
The RMCA’s major annual fundraising event is the sale of donated maps to the public at the RMCA’s annual MapCon road map convention. By donating road maps that you no longer need to the RMCA, you are fostering their preservation. Your donation of road maps to the RMCA is tax deductible to the full extent of the law. More information about Taxes and your donations.
You can also help support the RMCA by attending MapCon and purchasing donated maps. 100% of the proceeds from the sale of donated maps is used to fund RMCA activities.
How to support us by donating maps.
You can also support us by buying donated maps at our annual MapCon
The RMCA MapCon is the nation’s premier annual road map convention, featuring the largest display of historic road maps for sale or trade at one place in the world. MapCon is also the site of the RMCA annual membership meeting where map collectors from all over the world can get together to share interests and renew friendships. Please consider becoming a sponsor of MapCon. Sponsorship opportunities are available starting with a donation of $100.00 or more. LINK—MapCon Sponsorship
Sponsor a Museum Exhibit:
The RMCA curates a revolving educational exhibit of historic road maps at the Antique Automobile Club of America (AACA) museum in Hershey PA. The AACA Museum, a Smithsonian affiliate, is a worldclass automotive experience with numerous vintage vehicle displays and interactive exhibits featuring cars, buses, motorcycles, and other automobiles from the 1890s through the 1980s. OUTSIDE LINK — AACA website-exhibits page/roadmap.
We update or change the road map exhibit several times a year. Help us fund the cost of our road map exhibits at the AACA by sponsoring one or more of them with a tax deductible donation. LINK—museum exhibit sponsor page
Make a Tribute:
Please consider making a tax deductible donation to the RMCA in honor of a special living person or in memory of a beloved deceased person. Please use the contact form for more information regarding tributes to the RMCA.
Introduction to map collecting
The pages linked here provide (almost) everything that you might want to know about road maps, and how to start collecting them. If that’s not quite enough, then why not join us and gain access to the members-only pages!
The Types of Maps People Collect. Links to an article from Legend #45 (the club’s newsletter) that looks at some of the types of maps collected: oil company issues, official state issues, auto club maps, those published in a single year, maps with scenic covers, maps for special events…
Dating Rand McNally and Gousha Maps. Dating maps from the big cartographers is remarkably easy – once you know the codes! This page explains how they work, and should be checked by all vendors before trying to sell a map (please!)
“Easy and Easy to Miss Road Map Cover Dates” by Tom Sveum. NEW!
North American Major Oil Companies’ Map Master Lists. If you’re just starting to collect oil company maps, or if you have a map that you are looking to sell on eBay and are not sure if it’s rare, this page list the main oil companies, most of whose maps are quite commonly found.
Links From Our Members. Some of our members have their own websites, either as map dealers/traders, or simply to showcase favorite maps from their collection. This page links to the best of them.
Useful Map Sites do not belong to members.
More about the RMCA
Our newsletter – The Legend – is generally published four times a year and is sent to all members. Issues 1 to 80 of the club’s quarterly magazine, The Legend, can be downloaded (as PDF files). As well as providing links to each of these issues, the Legend download page provides a summary of contents of all issues, which is useful if you are trying to find a specific article in one of the printed magazines.
We also have an annual meeting known as the MapCon, generally in the early fall. 2021’s meeting will again be on the East Coast at the AACA museum in Hershey, Pennsylvania. Recent meets have been in Indiana, Texas and Tennessee, although our West Coast members occasionally get together in California.
Members Only Pages
Members only pages can be found HERE.